Allied Telesis is a world-wide company, and is one of the world’s leading producers of computer networking equipment Founded in 1987 it has offices all over the world, including the USA, the UK, Netherlands, Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, China, Singapore, India, the Philippines, and Australia.
In New Zealand, we develop some of the company’s most advanced products for international markets. Specifically Advanced Layer 3+ switches, including Gigabit and 10Gigabit Ethernet.
Software Department Manager (March 2006 – December 2008)
This role is responsible for the leadership, development and management of a software department. Seven Software Team Managers reporting directly with up to 65 software engineers reporting indirectly.
- Helped introduce Agile Development to the Company.
- Providing direction for the software department, accountable for software delivery from ATLNZ to the global group.
- Actively, leading, managing and developing the team ensuring performance management and career development actions are in place and monitored.
- Identifying, implementing and continually improving process and procedures for accomplishing work, including iterative and Agile development methodologies.
- Development and management of budgets for Software Teams within the Software Department.
- Project management, financial budgeting for the department, strategic and resource planning, assisting with product planning and company roadmap.
- Assisted in creating career development framework and managing career development, performance management, and performance appraising.
Software Team Manager (December 2004 – February 2006)
This role was responsible for the leadership, development and management of a team of up to 15 software engineers. The team worked on new product and feature development as well as customer support for existing products. As one of six software teams at Allied Telesis, this team was responsible for the LAN protocols and drivers code. A key aspect of this management role was the development and maintenance of strong relationships with all customers.
- Coaching, communication, creating and maintaining a happy team environment.
- Setting team objectives and the technical direction.
- Project management, budgeting, strategic and resource planning.
- Further developed iterative/Agile development methodologies.
- Career development, performance management, performance appraising.
Senior Software Engineer / Software Group Leader (July 2001 – December 2004)
This role led between three and ten software engineers on significant software development projects, including the AT-8948 and AT-9900 Series of multilayer IPv4 and IPv6 Gigabit switches.
- Software resource and technical planning and reporting.
- Providing direction for software development.
- Being involved in all aspects of the software development life cycle: requirements gathering, specification, design, coding and verification testing.
- Introduced iterative software development methodology.