Controls Team Leader (September 2014 – April 2017)
Cavotec is the home of MoorMaster™, an innovative vacuum-based mooring system. The company also supplies Alternative Maritime Power (AMP) systems, and a comprehensive range of staple port equipment, including motorised cable reels, marine propulsion slip ring columns, electrical power connectors, power chains, and crane controllers.
From automated mooring to ship propulsion, Cavotec’s innovative Ports & Maritime systems serve the global ports industry, ensuring efficient and sustainable operations.
The Controls Team Leader provided management and mentoring of 8 -12 controls engineers, ensuring best practice design, project effectiveness and teamwork. This role was also a key part of the Engineering Team and wider company, contributing to engineering and project management that enabled the company to achieve its operational and strategic objectives.
- Contribute to the resourcing of critical projects.
- Motivate, coach and mentor team members, giving direction and guidance to foster Personal / Professional Development and Team / Business goals.
- Address and manage any performance issues or conflict scenarios.
- Observe Cavotec MoorMasters™ internal design & documentation process standards.
- Develop robust functional descriptions and product/software documentation.
- Oversea PLC Programming, Network, HMI design and execution, electrical specification and systems design execution, Conception and development of software and electrical systems to support new products and improvements to existing products.
- Complete documentation required for Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT), Site Acceptance Testing (SAT).
- Foreign travel to attend FAT, site commissioning and SAT (mostly offshore).
- Customer liaison, providing warranty, monitoring and support for issues arising throughout the products lifecycle.
- Increase the quality, efficiency and productivity of the controls team.
- Prepare, review and maintain CMM product documentation.
- Research & Development of new and existing MoorMaster™ Products and other products which Cavotec MoorMaster or Cavotec wish to develop.
- Contribute to the discovery and collection of information for new and innovative materials, processes and functionality.
- Contribute to the CMM Knowledge Base capturing relevant information.
I had three major streams of work at Cavotec to note, these were:
- The introduction of Software and Electrical process, including integrating into JIRA;
- Driving the team to create a ‘cookie cutter’ standardised HMI offering, including a PHP/Web based tool to assist sales in generating a standardised set up for a site,
- Move towards a continuous PLC and HMI Software Release, automated to provide the ability keep multiple sites up to date, this included driving for a PLC and HMI architecture that is modularised.